Saturday, November 22, 2008

Presley's Birth Story

We cannot believe our baby girl is here! She is a complete diva and has taken control of this pregnancy and now birth, in true princess style!

On Wednesday afternoon, I began to bleed heavily with clotting. I contacted Dr. Stowers and he told me to immediately head in to labor & delivery. When I arrived at the hospital, I was found to be dilated to a 4. It was decided that trying to stop the labor was pointless, since I was so far along. Within a few hours, I had progressed to a 5.

Once I hit a 5, everything stalled out. At this point, it was decided that an attempt to stop the contractions would possibly buy her some more time. After several doses of Terbutaline and Nifedipine through out Wednesday night and Thursday, I still ended up dilated to a 6 by Thursday evening. Thursday evening, the contractions stopped again and I was able to get a little sleep.

Friday morning arrived and I was feeling pretty good. I was having no contractions and it appeared that it was going to be a mellow day. Josh contemplated going home for a few hours, to be with the kids, but ended up climbing in my hospital bed with me and we took an hour nap. About 10:30 am, my nurse knocked and I woke up...not 2 seconds later I felt a slight pop and a gush of fluid. For a moment I thought, "How am I going to tell Josh and the nurse that I just pee'd all over us?" A second later I smartened up and looking at my nurse slightly panicked, I said, "I think my water just broke!" One look under the covers confirmed that! I had quite a puddle of fluid and Josh's leg was quite wet!

I was immediately moved back to L&D and found that Presley was -1 station and I was dilated to a 6+. We started calling everyone that had said that they wanted to be there and everyone quickly started arriving. Amey, Rachel and Mickey all arrived at the same time and we sure had a blast laughing with my nurse, Auri. After an hour or so, I sat on the birthing ball, while Mickey gave me a fabulous back massage.

I really wasn't feeling any contractions and Presley was moving so much, that it was hard to keep a tracing on her heartbeat. So, a few hours later it was decided that an inner uterine contraction monitor and fetal scalp electrode would be placed.

My nurse was not certified to place those yet, so another nurse was called. When she arrived, she began the process of trying to insert the IUC monitor. I about shot off the bed! She had to reach in (past her freaking wrist and half way up her arm!) to find my cervix. She said that the baby was no longer head down; she had moved into transverse position. My nurse couldn't understand this, because she had recently checked me. So, she checked me again to see what the other nurse was feeling and was shocked to find that Presley had moved waaaay far up. A quick ultrasound confirmed that her head was now to my left and her bum to my right. Because I had already lost so much amniotic fluid, she was stuck and wasn't moving.

Dr. Stowers was called and it was decided that the best course of action would be a c-section. Because my water had been broken for several hours, he didn't want to chance the risk of infection, waiting to see if she would move. We already knew that we would be dealing with Preemie issues...we didn't want to deal with infection issues also.


Within 30 min, I was prepped and they began the surgery. Because it turned into surgery, only Josh and Mom were able to be in there with me. Amey, Rachel, Micky and Brittney all waited outside for the news.

Shortly before the surgery started, I could feel a panic attack coming on and I spent the entire surgery trying to breathe deeply and calm myself down. All of a sudden, Presley made her way into the world, screaming at the top of her lungs! I kept hearing everyone say how big she was for a 33 weeker! After a quick peek over the sheet, so I could see her, they passed her through a window to the special care nursery. My anxiety quickly resolved itself, once I knew that she was doing okay. Josh went over to the nursery with her and quickly relayed the numbers...5 lbs 2 oz and 17.5 inches long! She was so much bigger than we had anticipated!

Dr. Stowers confirmed with me that I wanted my tubes tied and began that procedure. It seemed to be taking an awfully long time and that's when Dr. Stowers told me that I was having a bit of a bleeding issue. He said that everything he touched started bleeding and they were trying to get it under control. Finally, it was resolved and I was moved back into my labor room to recover for an hour. They are watching my blood count today, to make sure the bleeding issue is completely resolved, but as of now, everything looks great!

I finally got to go back and see her after an hour and she was doing fabulous! I was even able to nurse her for 15 minutes, something that I didn't think I would be able to do.

Presley is one special baby girl! She knew how she wanted things done, that's for sure! I can't wait to bring her home and incorporate her into our typical chaos!

17 comments:

annie said...

she is absolutely beautiful! congrats.

suebug said...

I am crying! You went through SO much! I feel horrid that I wasen't there, and I feel horrid that I haven't been around to be a friend to you the last little while. I feel horrible for not being there when I should have been, I feel horrible for not being THERE for anything. I hope you can forgive me, I hope you know, truly, that I love you. That you are my friend, and I truly am thankful that Presley is here, finally, safe and sound. I am thankful, that even through a c-section you are beautifully happy and excited! You are an amazing person, I am lucky to know you.

Pam said...

That is an amazing and wonderful story! I am so glad that it turned out so well. I was worried with her being born early- I just prayed it would all be okay. I'm so glad that you and Presley are doing well. You are amazing and your strength is an inspiration. I can't wait to hear even more about your precious family!

JLT6907 said...

what a scarey story. i am glad everything turned out ok!

Andrea said...

So glad everything turned out so well. I laughed at the part about your water breaking all over Josh's leg!! :)

Sharon said...

Congrats over and over! She is beautiful and I'm so glad that you are both doing so well! What an amazing miracle for your family after such a hard few weeks! It makes me so excited to see my own little one! (It will be funny to see how grown up Presley is by the time I get to my due date!)

Minnie15 said...

Hey I'm Maryam/Minnie15 from the Jan. 2009 board on BBC. Congratulations on little Presley! She's absolutely beautiful!

Shellie said...

I have been thinking for a week, "I wonder how the Presley project is going..." and I finally got myself over here to see. So glad she is here safe and sound! I have now read all your wonderful posts since last I checked in, they were all great. I forget when you have to rest you end up posting more:) Anyhow, Presley is precious! I love your slide show too. AND, I predict after that birth story that she will have everyone at her complete command within a week and fit right into the chaos!!! Don't expect her to be the kind of kid to sit still :) CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!

Mamarazzi said...

great story!!

love the part of Josh's leg getting wet. true love!

she is beautiful. i can't wait to see more pics...oh with siblings...FUN!!

Steph said...

Such a sweet, scary story!! I'm glad everything turned out well!

The Dixie Millers said...

Congratulations! We are so happy everyone is doing well and can't wait to meet Presley! We love you guys!!

Jenny said...

Congratulations. She is beautiful. Thank goodness no breathing tube!!! She must be doing fantastic!!!

Regina said...

LEEANN!!! Congrats to you and your hubby! Oh how beautiful! I love the slide show!
Now the hard stuff begins!
Peace, Love & Blessings to you and ALL of yours!!

common mom said...

Yay for you!! Woo hoo! I'm so glad that everything turned out well :-) Yay - really, I'm so excited for you guys . . . I wish I'd been smart enough to get my tubes tied at my 2nd C-section - but, we weren't sure.

Yay yay yay again! She's beautiful!

Timmy and Traci said...

Woot Woot!! for Presley! Congrats to you guys!

mickey said...

What a ride! Leeann you've been through so much and made it through like a champ. Now, I'm serious take some time for YOU and please get some rest and allow yourself time to recover you DESERVE and NEED it!

Stacy said...

I am so happy for you! Congratulations!!!

And, funny enough... not only did we have the same doctor, but Auri was my nurse too. Wasnt she great!