Friday, October 10, 2008

Today Is A Bonus

It has been one year.
Today is a bonus. Tomorrow will be a bonus. Every day from this very moment...is a bonus.
On October 9, 2007, my family's life changed forever. This was the day that Mom's doctors told us that she had one year to live.
One year.
We were devastated. One year is not enough time to say all the things that you want to say, do all the things that you want to do, or say "I love you", enough times. It is not enough time to watch your Mom hold your kids and know that she loves them as much as you do.
In the past year, it has been an emotional roller coaster of ups and downs. Some appointments were good. Some appointments were bad. Some appointments were really bad. There have been good days and there have been bad days. I don't think any of us will really know how many bad days there have been, because Mom would never admit it to anyone.
With that said...(drum roll, please!)...Mom's latest scan results:
CT scans were done in May, July and September of her liver, lungs, stomach, lower abdomen and bones. The May to July scans were bad. Scary bad. The chemo she had been on was no longer working and the tumors were growing again. Mom is so active and so rarely "down", that it was hard to be thrust back in to the reality of her situation again.
They put her on some new chemo and then re-did the scans in September. This time, the tumors in her lungs and liver are showing significant shrinkage, or have disappeared completely. The tumors in her bones still remain the exact same - but that does mean that they aren't growing. We were SO happy to get this news! It really improved Mom's outlook and we are just praying things continue to improve. Mom is even gearing up for a 7 day cruise with her sister, in a few weeks. Something that we never thought she'd be able to do.
So, I share with you a few of my favorite photos over the last year.




Mom - Your strength impresses us every day. We fall asleep every day so grateful for you and all that you do. We know there are so many days that we couldn't make it though, without your love and help. We love you so much!

12 comments:

gail said...

Pat has shown how strong of a woman she is. She is a pillar of strenghth for those of us who were not always strong. She is a fighter!

Mamarazzi said...

her strength amazes me. what a wonderful woman!

Jen said...

This post brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing this with us :)

Pam said...

This is a beautiful post! I teared up right away. I'm glad you are getting more time together!

Andrea said...

What strength this beautiful woman has. You have it too, Leeann. I'm sure you have been her ROCK more times than you know. And she has been yours.

Beautiful post.

Mary said...

Every day is a gift. I'm so glad you'll have even more days with your mother.

Erin said...

That is so awesome that she is fighting the odds!! Good for her. And you are giving her so much to fight for. My prayers go out to you all for continuing the fight!

katie said...

Very good news indeed!

JLT6907 said...

thats such a sad story! hugs

Melessa said...

Yay for one year! I just did Race For the Cure with my girlfriends as we do every year, so the pink shirt picture is the one that brought tears to my eyes. I hope your mom has a wonderful time on the cruise!

suebug said...

Pat, you are one of my greatest hero's! I continue to cheer you on, pray for you, and admire you! It is an HONOR to know you!

common mom said...

YAY! Every day is a blessing . . . my mom was diagnosed with a very rare terminal illness and given 6 months to live . . . 9 year ago. I am sooo thankful she has been able to meet her grandchildren and shower them with love. And so grateful that we've had all this extra time with her.

What a great story - and what an incredibly strong woman your Mom is! Here's to a wonderful cruise and another year.