Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Greetings...From Labor and Delivery

My days of having a typical pregnancy with Presley are over. They were great while they lasted, but it wasn't meant to be. I wasn't meant to have one pregnancy that was smooth sailing.
Yesterday around 3 o'clock I noticed that my sporadic braxton hicks had turned rather regular, about 8 minutes apart and were feeling different. I dealt with it until about 5 o'clock when I put a call in to the doc. Given my history, he suggested that I at least go to L & D and get checked out.
We arrived at LDS hospital about 6:30 and got checked in. After a sterile spec exam (ow!) and a catheter (OW!), blood drawn and cervical check, we found that I was not dilated at all, am anemic and have a possible urinary tract infection. They found 5 white blood cells in my urine, which is borderline, so they are growing it out to see what happens.
So, after a nice shot of morphine and phenergan in my bum (now there's a visual that will haunt you), I laid there and felt loopy, but was still contracting every 2-4 minutes. Fast forward to about 10 o'clock and they checked me again. I still wasn't dilated, but my cervix had moved further into the birth canal and was very soft. So, they started betametazone (steroids to help develop her lungs faster) and Indocine and Nifedipine (anti-labor drugs - that I hope I've spelled right).
About 2 o'clock this morning, the OB on call came in and checked me, since my contractions hadn't really improved. At this point I was definitely dilated to a one. LDS hospital's NICU can only handle babies that are 32 weeks and older. At that point, they decided that it was too much of a risk to have me there and contacted an ambulance to bring me to the new IMC, since they are better equipped to dealing with a 29 w 5 d baby.
After a fantastically bumpy ambulance ride, I was greeted by a bunch of resident doctors that don't look old enough to be out of high school. (Holy crap, I am getting old.) They decided to run a couple of the tests again, such as the sterile spec exam (ow!). She noticed some fluid and asked me if my water had broken. I told her that I hadn't noticed, if it had. So, they checked out the fluid and it had some of the telltale "ferning" indicating that it was amniotic fluid. The only problem with that, is that I'd had my cervix checked three times already and the lubricant they use contains salt...which could also cause that "ferning" pattern. They decided to leave me alone today (hallelujah!) and they would re-run the test tonight to see if they still get the same results. I'll be shocked, because I haven't noticed any increase in fluid at all.
They did an ultrasound to check her fluid levels and do measurements on her. She appears to have plenty of fluid and is measuring big! I am 29 w 5 days and she is measuring 32 w 5 days and already about 4 lbs. There is no way she could have been conceived 3 weeks earlier...I was still pregnant with our angel baby then and hadn't had my D&C yet. I know that there is room for margin of error, but I'm happy to see that she is measuring on the big side, and not the little.
That brings me to now...I take one of the anti-labor drugs every 4 hours and the other every 6. The contractions have been off and on today, so I'm hopeful. I know the best place for her is in me. There is no man-made incubator, that compares to Mommy's uterus.
So, here we are. Watching and waiting...

16 comments:

Stacy said...

How scary!

We'll be thinking of you and praying for you. Let us know if you need anything!

katie said...

Crap LeeAnn.....Hope things slow down. Keep us updated. I'm willing to help too. I'm not too far from IMC and I'm fairly certain there's a Cafe Rio between here and there.

suebug said...

I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you...Stay inside for a while Presley, I love you, I love you!!! Sending you LOADS of good energy and love. I have been such a wreck worrying about you, it's good to catch up and hear the current news...I'll share that info with my mom! REST, I mean it, SERIOUSLY REST! And text me when you can. I am praying for you (and your entire family...yes Presley you too!)

Pam said...

I will be thinking of you and praying for you, Presly, and your family! I hope that everything will go well and you can convince Presley to hang on a bit longer before making her big entrance.

Andrea said...

Oh my! I will pray that little Presley will stay inside her momma's nice, cozy uterus for several more weeks yet!

Are you now on 'hospital bedrest' until she comes? Or will it get played by ear...??

The Dixie Millers said...

Oh my gosh! Are you in real need of some attention. I realize we are way down in St George and it is hard to have my attention all the time. I honestly don't think you need to be doing these crazy things in the hospital, all you need to do is call and I will talk to you! LOL Is everything calming down now?

Sharon said...

Wow. I am a little in shock right now. Since you and I are just days apart from each other, I can't imagine the emotional and physical stress you are under right now. Thank heavens you have so many people around you to help and pray for you and sweet little Presley! Stay in your warm little house, Presley dear! We will keep you both in our prayers!

Melessa said...

I'm glad she's still on the inside for now. I was scared when I saw the title of today's post. I'll be watching, waiting (hopefully for quite awhile), and praying with everyone else.

Jenny said...

Oh man... that is scary. My 1st came at 32 weeks. Hopefully she will hold on at least a little longer. The anti-labor drugs are horrible, but worth taking if you can buy some more time.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Best of luck in the next few days.

Mary said...

You both are in my thoughts.

Gail said...

Good Grief!! I was worried all last night after talking to Pat. PLEASE, PLEASE let me know what I can do to help. We had a blast at the park , so maybe if Pat has the kids we will have to stop by and play. Keep us updated on what the progress is.

De said...

Praying for you and for Presley along with the rest of the fam.

Stephanie said...

I hope everything turns out all right!

sheri said...

Oh my goodness! I've been MIA on the blog world lately, but suddenly got this urge to come see what's new with you. Hugs and prayers coming your way! Stay in there, Baby Presley! I'm sure you're stinkin adorable, but we can wait a few more weeks to see you. Really!

Rachel said...

Oh no! You are at the new IHC on 53rd?? I am right across the street for school. I can come see you! Seriously!

My sis-in-law knows all about the steroids, anti-labor drugs, etc if you have any questions. (not that your doc wouldn't answer them..)

JLT6907 said...

oh wow! I hope she can hold out for a couple more weeks at least. your family is in my thoughts. Hang in there mama.