Thursday, October 9, 2008

Baby Bump - 27 Weeks

Sometimes...knowledge is not power.
Because I'm prepping to go to nursing school and really want to be in labor and delivery...I seek out information on that subject. Having gone through four of my own pregnancies (now five) and a miscarriage, with a myriad of their own problems, I have learned a lot. I also love reading anything to do with labor and delivery, love watching the multiple shows on Discovery Health and I pick the brains of the poor nurses assigned to me whenever I land myself in the antepartum unit. (Hospital bed rest...for those of you lucky enough to have avoided it.)
So, with my knowledge and experience combined, I sometimes stress about little things...knowing that they can be symptoms for big problems. Last night I was sitting on the floor playing a game, when I realized that my feet were starting to swell up. It seemed to come on pretty quick - I hadn't noticed it through out the day. By the time I noticed, I had that tight "skin stretching" feeling. I normally only swell when I've been really active, so it concerned me that it happened while I was relaxing.
So, out comes my equipment and I proceed to take my blood pressure...just to see. I had just been to the doc the day before and had a BP of 96/65 and that was after a little walking around. My blood pressure has actually been fantastic this entire pregnancy, so I wasn't prepared for a reading of 130/89. WTH?
I got some water, thinking possibly just some dehydration (though I pee every 45 minutes, so who knows how that's possible) and continued playing my game. (All the while, nervous that I'm developing preeclampsia.)
About half an hour later...back contractions started, about 4 minutes apart, lasting 35-50 seconds. I gave up on my game at that point, went up to bed, swallowed two Tylenol with another glass of water and waited....
and waited...
and contemplated calling the doctor...
and waited...
and finally....
they stopped.
So, the swelling has gone down today, contractions are irregular and I'm trying to take it easy. As easy as one can...in this house. :)

8 comments:

JLT6907 said...

thats scary! im glad things are better today. and isnt it a little soon to start having contractions so close together like that?

Andrea said...

Oh, you poor girl! I'm so glad the contractions stopped and you are feeling better. Did you call your doctor in the end to let him/her know??

suebug said...

OH NO!!! Are you okay today??? That is so scary kiddo, I am sorry that it happened, I will (continue) to pray for you that your preggo-ness will be healthy!!!

Pam said...

you look great and I sure hope this is nothing. I hope all is well and it isn't something bigger. Keep us posted and know you, your baby, your family- all of you are in my thoughts and prayers daily!

Jenny said...

I became a total hypochondriac when I was in nursing school!!! I swear I had everything. But, sometimes that extra knowledge comes in handy when you really need it. A non medical person would not have drank water or taken B/P or even simple rest...
Nurses also make the WORST patients.

Take it easy!!!

Crysm said...

I am so sorry!! You totally need some rest! And tell those Ankles who's boss!

Tinabean said...

I am glad that you knew what to do to help yourself.
I was swollen 24/7 with my boys and was in the doctors office and the perinatologist once a week.
I am lucky though I have a sister in law that works at St. Marks in labor & delivery & a sister in law that works at Jordan Valley in the NICU.
So I was covered!!!
I also got lectured to rest a LOT.
Hang in there & keep up the good work.

Steph said...

GET SOME REST!! Im glad things are getting better!