Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Saga...Of The First Day Of Pre-school

I am not going to win "Mother of the Year", after the hell I put this three year old through today. She has watched for years, as her older sisters went off to pre-school everyday. She has wanted nothing more, than for me to leave her at Becky's, too.
Today, was finally her day. She had eaten lunch, was all dressed up, had on her backpack and had all her three year old excitement balled up inside. She happily posed for her "first day of school" pictures and off we went!

This is where I turn into "Bad Mommy." We live in town "x", but preschool is in town "y", about 15 minutes away (depending on what slow vehicle I get stuck behind). We hurried up to school and arrived about 10 minutes early, so that I could get some pictures of her with Becky, before all the other kids started arriving. As we walked up the back steps, Becky opened the door and said, "Umm, school is at 12:30." Oh, no. I thought it started at 12:00. (This is my first experience with afternoon pre-school.) Well, crap. My other daughter needs to be to kindergarten in town "x", at 12:20, so I couldn't just wait around.
I had to pull my very pissed off, screaming, fit throwing three year old, away from the very thing she had waited a v-e-r-y long time for. Imagine trying to tear a ravenous grizzly bear from it's dinner...that's pretty much what it was like. So, the fit continued all the way back to town "x"...as you can see from the picture below, she ripped out her cute ponytails and gave me very, very dirty looks the entire way.
After dropping off the kindergartner in town "x" and stopping at home to re-do her hair, we headed back to town "y". Finally, as we pulled up to the school and she realized that she was actually staying this time, her mood improved. She was quite happy to pose with Miss Becky.
She was all smiles when I picked her up from school. She had a snack, colored, played with play-doh, played outside...and found a boyfriend. Oh, boy!
Avery~ I'm sorry that your special day started out so badly. I cannot wait to see how you grow and learn this year. I pray that Becky survives you...I still need her for a few more years! :) I love you, my baby girl.

8 comments:

suebug said...

Oh my goodness, poor Avery!!! I understand that kind of frustration!! I am glad it ended up working out for her, and it will improve Av, promise it will!!! Here's to a good first year of school kiddo!!!

katie said...

Um yeah....she looks REALLY ticked off at you. Hilarious!

Mom said...

That's Avery all the way. She is such a great source of entertainment. I love that kid so much. Mom

Pam said...

poor thing! and poor mommy! Glad it all worked out well in the end!

common mom said...

Oh my - poor thing! I'm sure no amount of explaining could make her understand that she actually got to go back to school.

And DAMN that one is a cutie! Oh MY . . . and those pigtails - adorable :-)

Steph said...

Poor Avery!! Im glad it all worked out though! I love her mad face!

Erin said...

that bully face is too cute!

Anonymous said...

I am sure she could have ridden the short bus that ALL the preschools in utah have..

Oh wait.. no they dont