Saturday, September 20, 2008

If You Talk...They Will Listen

In our house, Saturday mornings mean soccer games. That means that Bay and Ry run their butts off on the field, while Josh and/or I run our butts off chasing the 2 and 3 year old. Neither of them have the patience to sit through the games and they delight in making us chase them down, before they hit the street.
Bailey has a teammate, that is the daughter of some friends of ours. We usually sit together and chat, while the girls play. They have a 13 year old daughter, that usually plays with the kids, to give us a break. Today, their son was also at the games. (Normally he's off playing baseball, so our kids don't know him.)
One time, Luke ran off and their son ran off to grab him. He came up behind him, picked him up and started carrying him back to where we all were sitting. From the look on Luke's face, I could tell he was upset, but I just thought that he didn't want to be derailed from his goal of running into the street.
As they got closer, I could see him kicking and yelling, "You are not my friend! You are not my friend!" When they got close enough, their son put Luke down and Luke ran to Josh and grabbed on to his leg, trembling.
Then it dawned on me --- the poor boy thought that he was being kidnapped! He didn't know this person that picked him up and he was scared to death! I've always taught my kids to kick and hit and bite and scream, if anyone ever tried to take them. We've practiced yelling, "You are not my Mommy!" and "You are not my Daddy!", to draw attention to themselves, should anyone grab them.
Luke might only be 2 years old...but I'm happy to know that he listens when I talk about these important things.

6 comments:

Crystal said...

Poor Luke must have been terrified. But I am so proud of him. He did exactly what he should have. Makes me realize that I really need to teach Lilly this sort of thing.

JLT6907 said...

Wow! That is great that he has picked this up already! I wish I would have taught this to my kids earlier because they will talk to almost anybody.

Jen said...

That is really impressive that a 2 year old would remember to do this! AWESOME!!!

Nana said...

Good job Luke! You did the right thing.

Pam said...

Poor guy! But good for him that he knows what to do in these cases.

mickey said...

I am amazed, he is so smart. Sorry he was so scared, but it's nice he knows what to do.