Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Going Green?

So....anyone else ready to rob a convenience store? For GAS? Seriously...when it costs me over $70.00 to fill my van...I'm ready to try anything.
I drive a lot. On Wednesdays, we put an average of 180 miles on the van. That is a lot of money flowing out of my tailpipe.
We are now starting to consider alternative fuel vehicles. We played the hybrid game, with the Toyota Prius, but hated the costly monthly payment. I've started looking into natural gas cars, because Utah has quite a few natural gas filling stations. Apparently we are one of the only places in the United States pushing these alternate fuel options. I really could go anywhere in Utah, and find a filling station. While I'm currently paying $3.59 a gallon for fuel now....I could be paying $.64 a gallon for natural gas. No, I didn't forget a number there...really...$.64 a gallon. I could fill up for a fraction of the cost that I am paying now.
The cost of the vehicles isn't that much, either. Granted, I'm looking at used ones, but they are quite affordable! I know that our mini-van isn't going to fit our family forever...the kids are only getting bigger. I have found a few 9 or 12 passenger vans that are no more than $7,000. They might not be the prettiest thing on the planet, but they aren't going to cause pointing and staring either.
Add on top of that, the Utah tax credit of up to $3000 when you buy one of these cars...and the deal is sounding sweeter all the time.
If we switched to one of these cars, maybe we could go on vacation this year. Right now, there is no way that we could afford it. We can't drive anywhere. But, with the natural gas, it would be an option.
IF...we vacation in Utah, that is.

11 comments:

Annie said...

I can'n think about it...it gives me angry feelings. I just don't go below half... makes me feel a little better.

Stacy said...

My soon to be brother in law has a CNG truck and loves it. The biggest thing to worry about is that most tanks only hold about 6-10 gallons. A lot of people install several tanks, but that takes away your cargo room, too. Cris and I are thinking about getting one, too.

Tausha said...

never knew that they were so inexpensive. That is awesome. I am with you-60 bucks here. it is killing us. we also have a 4 runner so it is doubling killing us!
Hey-on a lighter happier note-I am trying to get a swap together, nothing special or exciting or expensive-jsut a little thing that all us moms could use to make us a little bit happier. So-come on over and let me know if you want to be a part of it. There are more details on the blog. You deserve it!

common mom said...

$74 this morning to fill up the Jeep - YEAH - NOT! We are not going on our annual summer trip to MN this year - too spendy.

I told Hubby we're driving the car on our trip to Rapid City - it's an 8 hour drive - he said "what?!" I'm like Dude, it gets 8 mpg better mileage than the Jeep . . . the more money we save, the sooner we get our new vehicle :-) He's still not on board . . . thinks we can't fit our "stuff" in the trunk. I think - if the 4 of us can't fit summer clothes for 4 days in the trunk of the car, then we don't DESERVE to go anywhere ;-)

Alternative fuels . . . amazingly, CO sucks at having them around . . . what with us thinking we're the healthy environmentally friendly state and all - well, maybe that's just Boulder ;-) I'm just surprised the options are so limited.

Pam said...

The price of gas makes me want to do crazy things! This here post- makes me want to move to Utah. Hey- if you don't stay in Utah, want to move by me??? please??

Mamarazzi said...

yea we had to give up horseback riding lessons because of this gas thing...not cuz the lessons are expensive ($20 for 3 hours) but because the gas prices make it too expensive...ridiculous!

katie said...

Amen! It ticks me off! We're going to Colorado next weekend. Should be interesting to see hwo much it's going to cost us.

Jen said...

You CAN'T leave Utah Leeann!!

Tammy said...

I have heard things similar to what stacy said. You might be paying $.64 per gallon, but you also don't get very good gas mileage either and with only a small gas tank it definately adds up. I am looking at simply cutting back on driving to places that I can easily walk. That will help me a ton and using public transportation when possible. Although living in rural UT you don't have many options and we pay at least 10 to 15 cents more than our friends and family in Salt Lake.

Jennifer said...

I guess if you wanted to vacation outside of Utah you could maybe do a search for natural gas stations and plot your route along those? I can only think of where ONE used to be around here & it is no longer there.
I don't put 180 miles on my van in a week, let alone one day...seriously it probably takes me two-three weeks to put that mnay miles on my van, thank goodness!

bequi said...

It's times like these I'm glad my car is gone so I'm forced to carpool with people.