Saturday, May 3, 2008

Bailey's Surgery

Bailey went in for her tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy yesterday. She was a little nervous and cried part of the way in there. But, when we got there, she perked up at all the attention.
Making silly faces at Mom.
To calm her down, they gave her some Versed. It's a sedative that made her really loopy. She just kind of stared into space. Then, she would reach out in front of her and grab at the air. I don't know what she was grabbing at, but it was hilarious!
Sometimes she would try to talk...but the words just wouldn't come out. She thought she was talking, but all we were hearing, was, "Aaabbadda blaabaaa maaanaa baaaalllaaa." Grandma and I were laughing so hard. If there's ever a next time, I'm bringing the video camera.
Here she is, after the surgery. Kids wake up very agitated and mad. She cried and screamed and begged to go home. Finally, the loratab kicked in and she zonked out. Poor girl has quite the fat lip.
She had a slight complication after surgery with her oxygen saturation. When she would fall asleep, her oxygen would dip into the 70's. After a little extra time on oxygen, she fixed it herself. I was so glad. After all the RSV and asthma stuff in this house, oxygen stuff scares the crap out of me.
She's doing better today. I've gotten some apple juice, pudding and mashed potatoes in her. And the girl that I have to yell at encourage, to push herself at soccer...begged to go to her game today. Using common sense Mommy Super Powers, I determined that she would have to miss today.

10 comments:

bequi said...

That's so funny! My nephew had to have some mediciation to put him out for a root canal and when he got home he was like, "Mom! There's 2 Scooby Doo's!" Apparently the medicine caused some double vision. He just thought it was cool.

Jen said...

That is hilarious! I wish you had video of it too!! I'm glad everything went alright and hope she's up and running around again soon.

common mom said...

So glad it all turned out OK and hope she's feeling well soon!

Pam said...

I'm so glad that everything went well and that she is doing great. Ashlyn is headed for her our surgery in June....you will have to give me all the tips!

Andrea said...

Wish I could've seen her all loopy. But you painted a good picture of it. I can use my imagination, and it makes me smile.

Glad she's okay. I had my tonsils taken out when I was in grade 5 and I did not enjoy that experience. Sounds like your girl was a trooper!

katie said...

Oh the memories. Totally worth it! Hope she (and you) survive!

sheri said...

Hilarious about the loopiness! Poor thing...I hope she's feeling great soon.

suebug said...

What a BRAVE girl, I am glad for her sake, that it is all over!!! YOU LOOK FABULOUS in the hospital cap sweetie!!!

Mamarazzi said...

i am glad everything went well...she is looking super cute!! and YES if there is ever a next time...video please!

Steph said...

Im glad it went well. I hope she heals quickly!