Monday, March 17, 2008

A REAL Pain In The Ass

This post is gonna get ugly.
Don't say that I didn't warn you.

So, my niece has had a diaper rash for about a week and a half now. It is horrible. It sometimes bleeds and is resistant to EVERYthing we have tried. It has times here and there where it's looking better and then the next diaper...all HELL red rash breaks loose!

So, Josh takes her in to a local urgent care tonight. They REFUSE to see her, stating that they need a current Medicaid card. (Because we only have custody of her and we have not adopted her, she cannot be on our medical insurance.) Josh tried to calmly explain that since we got custody of her, the Medicaid people have been called several times and we are always assured that in "5-7 days the card should be received". Nope. They need her current one, or she will not be seen. Josh tells them that they have seen her before with the old one, they just called to confirm that she was still covered. "I'm sorry. Without her current one, we will not see her." "YOU STUPID, POS, LAZY ASS, LADY! DO YOU HAVE ANY CLUE WHAT MY FAMILY HAS BEEN THROUGH FOR THIS CHILD? DO YOU THINK WE ARE JUST SOME REDNECK BASTARDS WORKING THE SYSTEM AND WE ARE TOO LAZY TO GET HER NEW CARD??? DO YOU? HUH?"

I didn't even know that it was legal to turn a child away! I'm so angry! And, of course, stupid Medicaid is only open "8:00 a.m. to noon and 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Oh, except for on Thursdays, when we can't even get off our asses to start answering the phone until 11:00 a.m."

So, here's hoping that their building catches on fire tonight and the flames lick the receptionist's ass on the way out the door.

Let her feel some of the pain, that this baby is in.

9 comments:

Crystal said...

iLex and vasaline.
It's the ONLY thing I could get to stop the bleeding on Noah's bile burns. They carry it at most pharmacies behind the counter.

sheri said...

Oh my gosh, I'm freaking LIVID for you! That poor baby! I know you said you've tried everything, but just in case, I'll throw this idea out there (the only thing that remotely sort of "helps" my daughter's rashes) I let it air dry, then put on A&D ointment (the thick yellow stuff, not the creamy stuff), then literally spoon on lots of corn starch. I also never use wipes when it's bad...only paper towels and water.

Seriously, still pissed about all that crap.

Jen said...

Oh no! I totally would be livid with anger! Since when can they turn you away? Hello, so the people out there that don't have any insurance or medicaid at all are just turned to the streets! RIDICULOUS!!! I'm with Crystal. Ilex and vaseline. Although the iLex is a bit sticky and can meld their butt closed, so be careful! Vaseline is what has always cleared up Kya's rashes and hers open up and bleed and look like burn marks! I'm so sorry for the pain Skylie is in and hope it clears up quickly. Oh, another thing that works great is Corona ointment. A Pharmacist in our ward gave us this advice. Hope something works for you! Oh and like Sheri said, wipes make it worse. They sting so bad, even the hypoallergenic ones. You gotta just let them soak in the tub.

TheVasquez3 said...

oh this pisses me off! what the FREAK is wrong with these people?!?

plain warm water on Viva paper towels (they are thick and soft) instead of wipes and a little cornstarch.

i heard the ointments hold in the heat that is generated from the rash.

these people are insane...i can't stop shaking my head.

Candygirlflies said...

Unbelievable.

Leann, do you know ANYONE who would see that poor wee one?? A friend? Someone through your nursing course?? I have NO shame or tact when it comes to my kids' health... I have phoned doctor friends for advice, and even shown up on their doorsteps when things have become desperate!!

I am certain, by the sounds of it, that you and that poor babe are pretty desperate right now.

If it helps: a wonderful butt-paste called "Calmalyn" was the only thing that ever worked for my girlies' tender skin on a regular basis... And when things got dire, we just had to leave the diaper off (and drat the mess!!), use lots of towels, and pat the area with plenty of pure cornstarch... With four kids, I'm sure you know she'll probably need an anti-fungal ointment from the doc, and in the interim... You can try using a "feminine product" like Canesten ointment, etc. It's not as strong as what the doc will likely prescribe, but it might help to get her on the right track until you can get her in to the office!!

Poor, poor both of you... I'm on the other end of the email if you need another rant!!!

xo CGF

kellyo75 said...

Oh poor sweet girl. I can't believe they actually turned her away. From the way it seems to work around here, they never turn anyone away-which explains the 6 hour ER visit EVERY time!

Andrea said...

WHAT?!?! That is totally rediculous and crazy!

I read your post above about the samples, but in case you need to try something else, you know what always worked for us?

YOGURT. That's right. Just plain yogurt. It was amazing. Let me know if you try it.

Pam said...

Okay- I read these in the wrong order...but yup, sounds like a serious yeast infection and not just diaper rash.

Shame on that hospital for turning a child away! Shame, shame, shame on them!

The Joseph and Crystal Albrecht Family said...

FYI: The other Crystal has it right...ILEX is the way to go. You can get it over the counter at the U of U pharmacy in Stansbury Park. It's kind of expensive but works like a gem, even on yeast. Cake it on thick.