Friday, January 25, 2008

Miracle Of Miracles

***Disclaimer: Those of you that are in any way active, stop reading now. You will find this post boring, unimpressive and possibly comical.***

Last night...I did it. I have been using the Treadclimber at the gym, for the past several weeks. I have fallen in love with it and shoot daggers at anyone who dares be using it when I arrive.
But last night, I thought I'd try...are you ready?...running. This is the girl that can only run the straights on the track. You know the routine: run the straights, walk the curves...yeah, that's me.
I jumped on that treadmill and ran AN ENTIRE MILE. I know, it's not much, but coming from someone who has never been able to do that...I shocked myself. I was breathing just fine and would have been able to keep going, if my calf muscles hadn't cramped up in mortified pain.
So, laugh at me all you want.
But every great journey began with one step.
This was mine.

11 comments:

smdew said...

Awesome! I've been thinking about joining a gym - I need to do something! Running a mile would be a HUGE milestone for me too! I'm proud of ya!

Andrea said...

I am in awe of anyone who can run a mile!
Way to go!!!

sheri said...

YAY! I wish I lived near you...we could run together! I"m by no means a "runner", but I've been able to work up to 20 minutes of slow running on the treadmill. Sure, that's pathetic for many, but it's been huge for me. It's kind of fun to see progress and reach new goals, huh?!

Pam said...

I like the eliptical....I remember the first time I ran a mile on that....it is a great feeling, isn't it? Way to go!

(I haven't worked out in forever - doubt I could still do that mile- good for you!!)

Regina said...

Good for you!! what an awesome accomplishment! Keep up the good work.

Melanie said...

I must start working out. A couple of years ago I did- and I also got to the point where I could run an entire mile. Then I had a bit of a difficult pregnancy and couldn't exercise, and I totally got out of the habit. I have got to get back into it.

TheVasquez3 said...

AWESOME!!!

the other day i decided to RUN on our treadmill here at home. Paul came home from dropping Jordan off at school and walked in and said, "wow running, cool! can i sit here and watch? your boobies are dancing all over the place" i started laughing so hard i pulled a major muscle. and later went to buy a good sports bra.

now i run when he is not home.

katie said...

Way to go! I admire anyone who runs. I hate running. I think because I was forced to run so much in high school because of sports, I truly loathe it now. Good for you!

Jen said...

I'm not gonna laugh! That's AWESOME!!! Keep it up. . . I couldn't run a mile on my treadmill, believe me I tried and it's not pretty! I make my husband leave the room so he won't get nightmares! I guess I need to follow your example and keep up with it and eventually I'll be able to do it!

Sniz said...

That is a huge accomplishment! Being in good enough shape to run a mile makes you feel so good and confident...I remember when I did it for the first time a few years ago. I had never even considered that I could and it was such a surprise and so empowering. Good for you, girl!

common mom said...

Dude - you rock! Excellent accomplishment! I only run when chased, so you're many steps ahead of me :-)