Saturday, January 19, 2008

Growing Up Is Hard To Do...Apparently

At the local elementary school, they do a sort of "fund-raiser". Every Wednesday and Friday night during January and February, the kids can go roller skate in the gym. It costs $3 and lasts for two hours. What is really nice, is that they break the grades up. K-3 goes at one time and 4-6 goes at a later time.
So, last night, I brought my daughter and her friend to skate. You can just drop your kids off (they do a GREAT job of watching everyone) and then come back to pick them up. But, being the Mommy I am, I still don't feel comfortable doing that, so I opted to stay the 2 hours. (Although, I don't recommend 2 hours on bleachers made for elementary school sized bums!)
But, I figured that it gave me 2 hours "alone" to get some homework done. As I sat there trying to figure out my math, I was half listening to some adults sitting by me.
First, you must understand these "adults". These adults are the kids that were a bit older than me in school. He played football and she was a cheerleader. They got older, married and produced offspring.
There they sit, in all their wondrous glory, making fun of the very over-weight teacher playing with the kids. This teacher was doing conga lines, the hokey pokey and the chicken dance...all to the delight of the kids. I won't even repeat the comments that were made, but I found it very distasteful. What is worse, is that these comments were made in the presence of their other, younger children.
I know that I am sensitive anyway, when it comes to weight issues. Not an hour goes by that I am not thinking about it. But, I still found it completely disheartening to see "adults" and parents acting this way. One of the top rules in my home is TOLERANCE and it pains me to see that other people are not this way.
It also worries me that MY children will have to grow up with THEIRS. Hopefully MY children can teach them of love, understanding and acceptance.

5 comments:

Pam said...

I have every confidence that your children will teach their children about kindness and compassion.

I am angered by this myself. I am offended that they would sit there and judge someone who is playing with their kids and caring enough about their children to be at this event. This person has a life- a family of their own- yet sacrificed their time and showed up their to watch the children and play with them.

Putting all that aside- how about some respect? No one kids talk back and feel entitled to anything they want. No wonder kids think if they don't want to do it, they shouldn't have to. With parents like that - who sit and judge based on appearance and do it in front of children- no wonder the world seems to be going to hell in a hand basket.

I just can't believe adults find it okay to act that way about anyone.

Okay- I need to go eat something sugary and fattening now because this stresses me out and I don't know how to solve this problem.

Mom said...

My mom and dad always taught me to treat others the way I would want to be treated. I hope that when these so called adults get old and on the plump side, no one talks about them behind there back. But if someone does, what goes around comes around.

Andrea said...

This deeply saddens me, Leeann.

And yeah, the thing is, we can do the best we can do to raise our kids to treat people with love and respect...but if other parents aren't doing their jobs -- our kids are still exposed to such negativity.

Pray, pray, pray...

Erin said...

Some people just never really leave that high school mentality behind.
Hope they don't pass it down to their kids!

theqcontinuing said...

You should've slapped them. But maybe next time. ;-)