Friday, January 11, 2008

Commit To Be Fit

funny

So, went to the new gym last night. Going at 9:00, you would think that it wouldn't be too crowded, but no such luck. Every elliptical and every treadmill was in use, so I hopped up on the Treadclimber. If you don't know what this is...find out! Holy cow. It is like walking uphill for 30 minutes. I am now in love with this machine. If I can work out for 30 min. and burn double what I do on a regular treadmill...why not?
So, while doing 30 minutes on the treadclimber, at a slower pace and 30 minutes on the treadmill, at a fast walk...I had plenty of time to observe those around me.
There were a couple of other Mommy-looking people who were there sweating along with me. I'm thankful for their presence because it's nice to know I am not alone in my weight-loss journey.
Then, there was the man that lifted weights the entire time I was there. You know, the guy that looks as though he could pick up my car and throw it across the street? He probably thought I had a thing for him, because I kept staring! I couldn't help it! I just kept wondering how it is possible to make your body look like that. I don't find that abnormal-muscle look attractive at all, but I am fascinated by it. What dedication it must take!
Making her way all over the gym, was the girl that knew what she was doing. Ran 4 miles and then lifted weights for 45 minutes. She was very focused and of course looked fabulous. I need to take some lessons.
Then, in comes "those" girls. The kind that come with make-up on. The kind that wear teeny-tiny little shorts with TIGHT END written on the bum. The kind that spent my entire 30 min. on the treadmill chatting and "stretching".
So, all in all, a good experience. I may not look as great as some of the people in there, but I'm working on it. I burned 710 calories! Their 710 calories, aren't any better than mine.

13 comments:

Big Doofus said...

I've never been to a gym. I've driven past quite a few of them. However, if I ever go, I'm going to be the GUY wearing the "Tight End" shorts and make-up--just to mix things up a bit.

suebug said...

Amen! I have to tell you, after my experience working out in the gym...I end up staring alot too. Thank goodness it's at Chad as I watch him work out...incredibly HOT! I could also try the whole make-up, TIGHT END shorts look. But I think the laughter and mocking would eventually drive my wiggly bum out of the gym! Good for you! That's ALOT of calories!

kellyo75 said...

How funny. You know, we had a speaker at my MOPS group telling us to join a gym, and "Don't worry, no one is looking at you!" Ha! I will have to tell her that Leeann is looking! Actually, I look, too. It seems whenever I go to the gym, there is the same guy on the elliptical sweating PROFUSELY (not using that word lightly, either). I keep thinking, "Come on dude, pick up the towel and wipe, then the sweat won't DRIP all over the machine!!" Oh, and I know those girls who talk and exercise. They talk on their cell phones, too.

Common Mom said...

Good for you! I've discovered the Eliptical and LOVE it . . . can burn 75% more calories in the same amount of time and it doesn't hurt my knees (I was a catcher for fastpitch softball for many many years!). Keep at it . . . just figure what you do today was more than you did yesterday. I gained so much friggin' weight travelling over the Holidays - ugh! I gained so much that in the past 10 days I've lost 7 pounds just by swearing off sugar and doing 30 minutes of any kind of exercise each day. Now to keep that up and actually weigh less than when I started . . . that'll be a test!

Watching the girls who socialize at the gym - ick. Nothing at the gym bothers me more than the two women that CONSTANTLY sit on the same two machines and chat while you're waiting to use 'em . . . grrrrr.

Regina said...

LMBO @ Big doofus!! Too Funny! leeann, that picture at the top is hilarious and sad at the same time. it is sometime hard not to stare!
710, wow! keep up the good work, that is a lot of calories!

Crys said...

First of all... good for you for going. Second...The video you have posted could have been me when I was about 12. I was downstair running on our treadmill when my mom threw a ball down the stairs "because it didn't belong upstairs" well... it rolled right down and under my feet. Of course, I fell right on my face, was thrown toward the back, got stuck between the treadmill and the desk that was behind it as it rubbed my elbows RAW! I still have the scars. When we finally get together for lunch sometime, remind me to show you. Just too funny!

Andrea said...

GOOD FOR YOU for going to the gym. Sounds like it was a very interesting time. :) I could totally picture everyone you were describing.

sheri said...

Love it! So I was actually at the gym this morning (I KNOW!) and was once again reminded of where I live. Whilst noticing a good 3-4 women walking around w/botoxed lips and thinking how ridiculous they look, in walks another woman with this on her shirt: "got botox?"
I mean, seriously!

Immoral Matriarch said...

That last sentence sums it all up so well. Eventually with hard work -you'll look as good or better than them and you won't need to validate yourself by having anything written across your bum! :)

Now...if Ii could work up the willpower to go the gym myself...

Sniz said...

Yeah...good conclusion and so true. This sounds like my trips to the gym at 9:00 PM. That used to be my favorite time to go, but now I run out of energy by 7:00, so whatever hasn't been done by then doesn't get done. :-(

Pam said...

Good for you! I used to enjoy working out...then I stopped. Now I dread starting again. I know i need to, but with all the time I spend blogging, well....who has time ;) Yeah for you!

Those overly muscular thing..I don't get it either. I think it looks gross. Toned if fine, but overly muscular....yuk!

Mom said...

I've been to a gym plenty of times and believe me honey, none of them know what they are doing. You keep up the good work Leeann. You'll get there.

TheVasquez3 said...

OMG i love you!!

i wish we lived in the same neighborhood so we could be gym buddies. its always better to sweat AND exchange "knowing" looks with a friend. and i think it burns extra calories too!!