Thursday, December 27, 2007

Out Of The Mouths Of Babes---Straight To God's Ears

My 4 year old's prayer tonight: "Dear Heavenly Father, please bless that Jared feels better. Please bless Skylie, that we can visit with her another day. Bless Nana that she will be able to get her. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen."

My niece, that I have written about often over the last several months, is in danger. She is being "cared for" by her father and paternal grandparents. Other than a few weeks ago, when I had her for two days, they are refusing to let my family to take her. It was arranged with her mother, that we would be allowed to have her Thursdays and Fridays.
The home that this child is in, is not fit for my dog to live in. It is the filthiest, most disgusting house, that I have ever set foot in. This child is sleeping in a bassinet, in the hallway. She is being fed watered down pedialyte. When I took her for those two days, she came home and quickly drank 10 ounces of formula. Two hours later, she drank another 6 ounces. Anyone knows that these are abnormal amounts for a two month old to be drinking.
Department of Child and Family Services (DCFS) was called today. They stated that because the child does not crawl, they don't care how dirty the house is. Seriously? What person out there, doesn't put a 2 month old on the floor for tummy time? Hmmm...apparently not her current guardians, because the back of her head is flat.
DCFS has made several comments about the situation:
"A neighbor will call if there is a problem."
"There needs to be proof of abuse before we can intervene." (Great...in theory. We can't get her out of the house to get her to a doctor to be examined!)
"I have a hard time believing that grandparents would do that."
And, my very, very personal favorite:
"Just because you are related doesn't mean that you have to care."
WTF? Really? If I don't care...who will?
I am not asking that the entire house be searched and everyone in the home be drug tested. (Although, in a perfect world, that would be GREAT, because I know for a fact that drugs were seen in my other niece's room when she lived there.)
I am simply asking that someone get off their rear, drive out to the home and knock on the door. You can see from the doorway that the home is unfit for anyone to be living in.

All this is coming from people who are supposed to be advocates for children! No wonder we lose so many children, in the hands of adults, in this country.

8 comments:

Andrea said...

Leann, this is absolutely terrible. My heart broke a little more with each line that I read. I'll pray for your beautiful little niece that she will one day VERY SOON be able to be in the kind, loving, nurturing environment that she deserves.

Crys said...

Your precious little niece is in my prayers everyday.

One idea... call DCFS EVERYDAY! until they do something. Eventually, they will start taking you seriously. At the very least, they will tire of the phone calls and go check it out just to humor you.

I sure hope it all works out.

Much Love,
~Crystal

Rachel said...

Wow! I have had the misfortune of seeing firsthand how these places work. There is more trouble at CPS in Houston than if the kids were out on their own.
Where would she go if she was taken out of their care? You seem to be the only other "normal, sane" person who could give her the care she needs.
I can't believe they still won't let you take her. Unbelievable!
So...Ryleigh is so sweet! Who is Jarod that she is praying for?

Steph said...

My thoughts & prayers are with you and your niece. I cannot believe that this is how things work in "good ole America". ARGHHH

Candygirlflies said...

My thoughts and prayers are with your niece and your family, also...

Although I am not familliar with policies in the USA, I would whole-heartedly agree that harranguing that child-services organization every. single. day. is quite possibly going to be your best bet. I have some sense of your family-- and if you were to get EVERYONE involved in the phoning and showing-up-on-the-office-doorstep, you would all be QUITE a force to be reckoned with.

You may very well have already done this, but what about getting your minister involved? The church's power of persuasion can be mighty...

And, as a last resort, there is always the police...

This is a terrible situation, Leann, I am so sorry that you are so wrapped up in it... However, the welfare of children is our ultimate responsibility.

Much love, CGF xo

Regina said...

Hi Leeann,
My heart breaks for that poor baby and for your family. I pray that God's will be done in this situation.

I don't know if you have been calling the local (for your area) or national numbers, but here is some info. I hope it helps.

If you need help or have questions about child abuse or child neglect, call the Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-4-A-CHILD (1-800-422-4453) then push 1 to talk to a counselor.

Blessings, Regina

Pam said...

Oh Leeann! My heart breaks as I read this. DO NOT give up. And I know that you won't. Keep fighting for this precious child. Even if you don't get anywhere....though I pray you do....you, and this child, will know that you have don't and continue to do everything you can to give her a better home. I say, keep calling. Call, call, call, and call some more. I'll be praying and if I can come up with anything else, I will let you know. Keep us posted.

TheVasquez3 said...

this breaks my heart. do NOT give up...i will keep you and your family in my prayers.