Sunday, December 23, 2007

My Version Of A Classic

T'was the night before Christmas, when all through the house,
Not a child was stirring and the cat caught the mouse.
The stockings were laid on the couch quite so fine,
In hopes that Dad wouldn't forget mine, this time.

The children were sprawled out, all over the floor,
Paid $600.00 for beds...but they like the floor more!
And Daddy so tired and I just the same,
Passed out from exhaustion...wrapping made us insane!

When down the bedroom hall, arose a great clatter,
I nudged my husband awake, to go see what was the matter.
Down the hall he shuffled, but wanting sleep more,
Arrived, barely awake and thrust open the door.

And what to his astonished eyes should be there,
But a tiny little girl, in pink underwear.
This child that stood there, so smiley and small,
Had found a blue marker and colored the wall.

"Oh, no!" "Oh, crap!" and "Gall-dang it all!"
"Why did you have to color the wall?"
"Get in your bed, I'm angry at you!"
"Why did you think this was okay to do?"

This child was covered, from her head to her feet,
In marker tattoos, she had drawn on, so neat.
Her eyes, how they shined, and he heard her say,
"Pretty picture for YOU Daddy. I do okay?"

Dad spoke not a word, but got straight to work,
Cleaned up the child, then turned with a jerk.
And laying the child, back in her bed,
He wished her good-night, and kissed her forehead.

He shuffled back in the room and gave just a sigh,
And with a slight chuckle, he then shut his eyes.
But I heard him whisper, as he slowly passed out,
"That child is what Christmas, is really about."

-Leeann Garrard-
-2007-

11 comments:

Rachel said...

Very nice! Hey!!....You should write a book! lol

Pam said...

Seriously...you need a tissue warning on these things!! I was laughing and enjoying it all...until the picture for you daddy part...then the water works began!

You have such a way with words!!

Merry Christmas to you and your family!!

Candygirlflies said...

Doll-- this was great!!

Happy, happy Christmas... I wish I could wrap up a good night's sleep for you and your husband, and send it to you!!

xoxo CGF

Kellan said...

Very cute - very sweet! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas. See you soon. Kellan

Steph said...

Thats great! I laughed and cried as well!

TheVasquez3 said...

AWESOME!! i loved this...and yes Christmas is so about the kiddos!

Andrea said...

That was amazing. As I was reading it, I first didn't even think that it was written by YOU!! That was SO good!

Merry Christmas, my dear friend!

Mom said...

That was awesome! I like it better than the real version. Let me see, where you thinking of Avery when you wrote that one? LOL

Melanie said...

Wow- that was sooooo good! I was laughing right up until the end, then of course I started to cry- truly what Christmas is about. You're an excellent writter.

Have a wonderful Christmas!

Regina said...

Awesome!! This is a new instant classic, better start writng that book...

Have A Very Merry Christmas! May You Receive All That God Has For You!
Peace, And Love To You And Yours!
Blessings, Regina.

Sniz said...

oh, wow, what a poem! The last line made me cry. You have talent, girl.