Tuesday, October 9, 2007

So Thankful


Mom sat us all down last night and gave us the news. Cancer has now spread to the lining of her brain, her spinal fluid, her hips, her lungs and her liver. On the menu is radiation for two weeks and chemo again. We are shocked. We are numb.
Already, I have received numerous calls from people, asking what they can do. I am so thankful for the people in our lives that care so much, that they will push aside their lives, their troubles, their sickness...to help us.
On Saturday, we listed to General Conference. Richard C. Edgley gave a talk on this exact subject. He said that living in Utah and being a Mormon, nothing much happens without the ward knowing within 5 minutes.
While some may see this as intrusive, I find it comforting. It is comforting to know that I have an extended family that can form "units" and become mobile within minutes. The US Military could take some lessons from the presidency of the Relief Society! :)
Love, service and compassion becomes second nature in moments like this. It is wonderful that we have so many people that we can turn to for anything. Dinners, rides to treatment or a shoulder to cry on are readily accessible. To quote from his talk, "What happens to One. Happens to All." What a blessing.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh, Leeann...I am soo sorry. I know that really doesnt mean much, but I will be praying for you and your family.
I love you!

Pam said...

I am so sorry! I know that my words don't help much, but just know that I am here to listen if you ever need an ear or shoulder. I'll be thinking of and praying for your family.

What a wonderful view you have- at a time of heartache and tragic moments, you have seen a blessing and bright spot in it all. You have a wonderful spirit and nature.

Crysm said...

Leeann... My heart aches for you. I am SO incredibly sorry that your mom is ill. There are no words that I can think of right now that would give comfort. But I will pray that The Comforter will be with you and your family, that you will find peace.

Thank goodness for the gift of Eternal Families.

Much Love,
~Crys

lizzie said...

i am so sorry leeann. you and your family are in my prayers.