Monday, October 15, 2007

My Letter to the Local Paper

My name is Leeann Garrard and I reside in XXXXXX. Given the type of stories that you normally do, I figured that you would be the best person to contact.
First, I suppose I should tell you a little bit about my family. My husband's family, rather. My husband's younger brother was diagnosed with cancer when he was 7 years old. He fought it and went into remission. He had to fight it again at the age of 17. Then, again at 21. He passed away from the disease, at the age of 23, on Sept 4, 2005. During this time, my mother-in-law was diagnosed with breast cancer and had a mastectomy and chemo treatment.
Everything was fine, so we thought, until just recently. Her cancer has returned, with a vengeance. It has now spread to her hip bones, her liver, her lungs and the lining of her brain. Last week, her doctors informed her that she has about a year to live. Even with this facing her, she has chosen to try radiation and chemo again.
Now, the reason that I tell you all this, is that I would love for you to write a story on her, for the Hometown section. In the next week or so, the newest treatment will have kicked in enough, that she will begin losing her hair. Last time, we had a "hair shaving party" and tried to "celebrate" her new look. This year, we want to do the same. However, several family members and friends will also shave their heads, in support of her.
As you can imagine, medical bills for this family are incredibly high. We would love for you to come take pictures, write her story and include the information for the fund, that we will be setting up for her. We are hoping that people in the community will take her story to heart and donate if they can. I think this would be a wonderful way to wrap up Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
Please let me know if you feel that this is a story that you could do. I really appreciate your time.

4 comments:

Pam said...

You are such a loving person! Most people wish they could help...you find a way! Good for you and I hope your paper does the story!

Candygirlflies said...

You GO girl...

Just keep writing and phoning newspapers, magazines and tv stations until SOMEBODY listens... Because you are absolutely right, this would be a PERFECT way to wrap up BC Awareness Month.

I'll be thinking of you all, and praying hard.

xo CGF

Steph said...

I think its great that you wrote the paper and that you are going to have a hair shaving party in her honor. When my ex BIL fought his battle with cancer, all his brothers, his father and step father and his buddies shaved their heads and then took pics. It helped his mood SO much!!

Common Mom said...

You are a wonderful person. Please send a link to the article in the paper when it is published if they have an online version.

It's nice to see how caring and giving people really can be when all we see on the news is the bad stuff.

I'll be thinking about you and your family!