Saturday, October 13, 2007

C'mon Parents!

One more soccer game done for the season and only one more to go. Today it didn't rain, which is a bonus. So, just a few things about today's games:

To the Dad that made his daughter cry twice, because she wasn't playing up to your standards...chill out. Please remember that these kids are 6 years old. There is no need to reprimand your children, in front of other people and make her cry. You have done nothing for her self-esteem and have only embarrassed her.

To the other Dad who felt the need to yell out everything that he wanted the girls to do...and then would get mad and make comments when they didn't listen to him: Leave it to the coach. This is why she is called "Coach" and you are called "Incredibly Annoying Father." (at least in my head.) Getting mad at little girls because they don't understand that when they play defense that they need to stay back...is not going to get you anywhere. They just want to kick the ball. Also, please stop yelling at the goalie for throwing the ball back into the game and throwing it to the other team. It was her first time playing goalie and she was excited and nervous, because everyone was yelling.

Lastly, to the mother that forgot that it was her turn to bring the treats for the end of the game: What do you have to say for yourself?

I am so, so, so sorry and I will bring EXTRA good treats to practice on Wednesday to make up for it. Bad Mommy. Bad.

4 comments:

Beth said...

I soooo agree with your comments about obnoxious parents.....chill out already! Gees, they act sometimes like their kids are in the pros. And I have forgotten the snacks sometimes too. I HATE when I do that!

Pam said...

Cut yourself a break on the treats...we all do it from time to time! I am with you completely on parents...some parents just need to stay home and let their children have a little fun. At this age, it is about fun. It isn't about competition and being cut throat. I wish more parents were like you and understood that. Hope the last game of the season goes well. By the way...gave you an award...stop by to see it.

Mommy said...

Nicely said!

shawn said...

I coached soccer (senior boys - 14-17) for years ... I was always amazed by the action of parents ... I didn't tolerate behaviour like that - it was MY job to deal with the kids, and I made it clear over and over and over - "It's ONLY a FREAKIN Game !!!" It's NOT about whether you win or lose, it's about having FUN and doing the best you can ...

And the funny thing is ... we won most of the time ... the boys had fun ... and now, years later if I run into them, they want to talk to me about life stuff, because I was an adult they could trust ...

Parents need to give their kids a break ... good for you for noting it!!