Saturday, September 1, 2007

She said what??

So the other day, a comment was made about a friend of mine. The comment was: "She has a baby that is half black. Can you believe that ?"
This honestly shocked me. Are we living in the 50's? What kind of segregated society does this person think she is living in? How could a beautiful little girl be spoken about like that? Is nothing in this world taboo?
I know their are people in this world that still have...well..let's call them "racial issues." I just didn't know that someone would be so brazen as to speak this word vomit out loud! Especially about a child! Especially in front of this child's mother!
I have never understood racism. It makes absolutely no sense to me. Why would I judge someone by the color of their skin, any more than I would judge them for their name? Or where they were born?
I am not one that agrees with judging of any kind, but if you were to judge, wouldn't it make sense to judge someone by what they do and not the color of their skin? How does it make sense to judge someone for something that they did not choose? No one chooses their skin tone. If I am going to be judged, I want it to be my actions, not my appearance.
Who cares if this baby is half black? Or half orange for that matter. Honestly, when my first daughter was born, she had pink skin, red patches on the back of her head and a large purple birthmark on her arm. Doesn’t that make her colored?
So, to the person rude enough to make this comment:
SHAME ON YOU! You are the reason that there is war, murder, abortion, self-mutilation, gangs and suicide in this world. Say it with me: t-o-l-e-r-a-n-c-e.

Or in the very least: s-h-u-t-u-p!

6 comments:

Brittney Garrard said...

Oh my heck PERFECT. That is exactly how I feel I just don't know the words to say and you worded it perfectly. Thanks Leeann, this was amazing and fits the situation perfectly.

Pam said...

wow, I can't believe that came out of someone's mouth in this day and age. I will admit, I can be a bit judgmental at time- but it is about what a person says or does. I could care less what a person looks like. I find it hard to believe that I teach lessons like this to my second graders and they totally get that you can't judge someone by hair color, eye color, etc. So, I wonder why a 7 or 8 year old can get this concept, but adults cannot. I am sorry you had to deal with this and I certainly hope this person finds some way to realize they were speaking about a beautiful child- no matter what their skin color is.

Rachel said...

What I never understood...is why they would say "half-black"....why not "half-white"...or "half asian"..."half-hispanic"....etc. I don't agree with any of these terms, we are all the same, but why do people always single out the "black"???

Common Mom said...

I am flabbergasted. It really is a shame that there are people who still think that way. I guess all we can do as parents is be a model for how our kids should act and teach them about what really matters in life.

mickey said...

i have to agree with you, some words should never leave ones mouth. if we all could be filled with kind words of love and laughter the world would be a sweeter place.

Shannon said...

Amen sister! Preach on!