Saturday, September 8, 2007

Nice Guys Finish Last

So, Josh and I did the Lake Point Fall Festival's 5K last night. 45 people showed up for the 5K. First, you must understand the people that showed up. About 10 were the high school's cross country team and another 10 or so are people that train for marathons. Another 20 were people that do actually run, all the time, for fun. That left about 5 of us walking/jogging.
I did the Susan G Komen 5K (for Breast Cancer) this summer and had a time of about 52 minutes. I really wanted to beat this time. I had friends running it to race each other, but let's face it...this over-weight Momma wasn't going to even be in the same league as them!
I kept telling Josh that I just didn't want to finish last. I would be embarassed and feel stupid to be the "fat woman" to finish last. Josh could have easily ran most of it, but stuck by me the whole time. As we approached the finish line, I gave it all I had and ran through it. All of the runners were there to cheer for us and applaud us for finishing.

What was my time, you ask?

45 minutes and 47 seconds

I was so proud of myself for shaving 7 minutes off my time from the previous 5K!

What was Josh's time?

45 mintues and 48 seconds

That darling husband of mine held back, just a bit, so that I wouldn't finish in last place.

He did.

9 comments:

Mommy said...

He is a nice guy for finishing last. What a sweetheart husband you have and I'm proud to call him my son-in-law.

Rachel said...

Awww!!!! How thoughtful and sweet!!!

Amy said...

Great job! I don't think I would even be able to make it through the whole thing.

Pam said...

Okay, I totally got a little teary eyed reading about what your sweet hubby did for you! I love stories of showing love like that. Congrats on even running the race and even bigger congrats on getting a better time then before....by 7 minutes! That is great. Way to go!

De said...

How sweet! What a beautiful thing to do.

Common Mom said...

Good for you (and kudos to hubby!). Excellent that you do this. I do not like running (although I am (was) an athlete and like to play softball and all kinds of sports. But mostly, I run only when chased :-)

suebug said...

What a sweetheart!! AND KUDOS for beating our previous record kiddo!! AWESOME! YOU ROCK and I love you!!

Shalene said...

Awww! That made me tear up! What a wonderful hubby you have. Men are usually so competitive. It's nice to know I'm not the only one with a great hubby! Blessings to you!

Shannon said...

I completely got teary eyed when I read this! You have the best husband! (Ok, maybe the 2nd best to mine ;-) Good for you for running!