Saturday, July 28, 2007

A "Mickey" Deal

I have been searching for an upright freezer for months. I won't bore you with the details of my research, but know that the one I want is currently $560.00 at Home Depot. (Because they are having a 10% off all appliance sale right now...otherwise it is MORE!)
When I got the Tooele paper Thursday night, I checked the classifieds. What happened to be in the ads?

THE FREEZER I WANT (said in a loud, booming voice)

The ad read:
20.3 cubic upright freezer, 3 years old, $150.00 843-5555 (phone number has been changed to protect the innocent)

It was 10:00 at night and too late to call, so I waited until yesterday morning. I called at 8:30 and (YAY!) he still had it available. I called and made arrangements for Josh to go see it.
It is the PERFECT fridge and is everything I wanted and more. This one even has frost free and auto defrost. I guess their conversation went something like this:

Josh: "So, you want $150.00, right?"
Old Man: "Well, what do you have?"
Josh: "$120.00"
Cute Old Man: "Okay, that will be fine."

Now they are getting ready to load it into the van.

Josh: "Oh, the door doesn't shut all the way."
Cute Old Man On Oxygen: "Yeah, I had to take the door off, to fit it in my house and I never adjusted it the right way."
Josh: "Oh, okay. I'll just adjust it and it will be fine."
Cute Old Man On Oxygen Who Lives Alone: "Well, since the door doesn't shut, I'll just take $100.00 from you."

Are you kidding me? This freezer was well cared for. It actually looks like it has never been used and even came with the instruction manaual! He could have easily sold this for $300.00-$400.00!

So, Josh and I are unloading it and I am as giddy as a little girl. Our conversation went something like this:

Leeann: "I AM SO EXCITED! I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT WE SAVED OURSELVES OVER $450.00!"
Josh: "I know!"
Leeann: "This is not something that happens to us! This is something that would happen to Mickey!"
Josh: "Yeah...but she would have talked him down to $50.00."

Okay. Well. There you have it. LOL

3 comments:

mickey said...

Josh is so funny. Thanks for the story. I am so glad you got yourself a GREAT deal, can I come use some of your space? he he he

lizzie said...

i am still laughing...that is sooo mickey! and aren't you glad it happened to you? so glad you are blogging...

Helen said...

Your a riot. Still laughing.