Thursday, April 5, 2007

*Profoundness*

Why is it that women worry so much about body image? We are either too fat, or too thin, or too pale, or too tall. Why can't we just be happy with what we were given?

Why can't we just be happy and accepting…stretch marks and all? I earned those! 36 months total of being a host to a fetus will take a toll. (Especially if those 36 months only span over a 60 month time frame!)

Women constantly strive to change themselves. "I don't like being brunette…let's try out a red head's life." "I don't like blue eyes, let's get some green contacts." "I don't like that my boobs went south for winter and never returned home…IMPLANTS!" It is a constant game of "where am I imperfect…and how can I fix it?"

This is something that plagues me daily…yet something that I don't want to pass on to my girls. I want them to love themselves…because I love them. I want them to see that they are beautiful people…because they make people laugh and they are caring and kind…not because they can wear a size 2. I want them to focus their energies on how to make the world better…not on how many calories they ate today.

Because…maybe if they grow up with this kind of attitude…this acceptance of self…they will teach me.

No comments: